Sunday, March 15, 2009

Training day


Some of you know that yesterday was going to be Holly's "potty-training day." Yes, I said was going to be. I'm sorry if that just gave away the ending.

We were totally ready. I read the books, bought the treats (felt a little like training a dog to sit and roll over), and let her pick out her new underwear. We talked the day up all week. Most importantly, I should add, Holly seemed ready. She HATES having a dirty diaper. So much that she won't sit down and insists on being changed immediately. If you walk toward her she puts her hand out and says in a panicked voice "Be careful! I have a poo-poo!" (I realize that might be TMI, but this is my language now). The time had come.

I was in no particular hurry to toilet train. Diapers are easy. You can drive for hours without stopping (remember the NASA astronaut?) and don't require sitting in the bathroom for 20 minutes at a time, keeping an active 2 year old entertained and still. But I had visions of Holly walking into kindergarten with diapers on, and that motivated me to capitalize on Holly's dirty diaper disdain.

The day started out well - success in the potty earned Holly 3 marshmallows! Then 15 minutes later, another success, another treat! And five minutes after that...her first accident. And 15 minutes after that, the second accident. Is anyone else amazed that a 2 year old can have such an active bladder? We went through the rest of the day putting her on the toilet literally every 20 minutes. Let me just say she went through 7 pairs of underwear.

Interestingly, Holly didn't seem to be bothered at all by the sopping wet mess she created every time she had an accident. She just went about her business, playing and walking from room to room (leaving a lovely trail to clean) until Matt or I discovered her. No shame, no disappointment, just kind of a "what of it?" attitude.

Needless to say, I put a diaper on her at 5 pm and called it a day. I contend that it was a good attempt. No tears, no battles of will, and lots of smiles when the treats appeared. I guess she's just not ready. And I'm OK with that. Because truthfully, I'm not quite ready to stop at every gas station restroom on our road trip this weekend.

And if you see Holly getting on the schoolbus in a couple of years with padded "diaper jeans," don't make fun.


6 comments:

Candace said...

That was great! And no worries- I am fully confident that Holly will be potty trained before K5!!!

Holly said...

I was thinking I could just send her your way when you're potty training Zeke. Just knock 'em both out.

Papa said...

Hang in there, Babe. Nothing worth doing is ever easy. Rome wasn't potty trained in a day and it looks like Holly might have have seen a Little Einstein video about Venice...

Mike said...

Man, that is hilarious stuff!

I think I want to try that out myself: I'll be walking around the office talking to some folks and then all of a sudden stop and I shoot my arms out and say "Be careful, I have a poo-poo!" Really freak folks out you know? ;P (Feel free to edit that bit out if ya like...)

Man, I'm kinda dreading these times creeping up on us too. Diapers are sooooo easy, non-dramatic (usually), and don't have to be taken care of every 15 minutes! Oh and the cleanup from accidents....blergh!!

Well good luck guys and keep us all up on the latest potty training details! :)

Dori said...

Mike's comment is the best! I would love to try that also. Maybe Matt could use that on an interview.........

Anonymous said...

I totally understand, but you must be patient. Stick it out, and within 2 weeks she will be going like a pro. Jordan had the 7-accidents-per-day routine for about 2 weeks. I literally cried b/c I couldn't understand why he just didn't get it. But then I realized it was that I just needed more patience, to back up a little and let him take his time. Try it for 2 weeks straight, and I'll bet you see a huge improvement by the end. :)