Friday, April 10, 2009

Happy Easter!


We're entering Easter weekend, and I'm getting the chance to see it all through the eyes of an impressionable 2 and a half year old. Holly's dyed her eggs, and we've even had a few "practice runs" of hiding and finding them. I think she's been eating egg chocolates for the past 2 months (which means so have I). She's received gifts and Easter stickers and cards from loved ones. She doesn't know that tomorrow we'll be going to a huge Easter egg hunt, complete with inflatable bouncy houses and games and everything her little heart could desire.

In the midst of this, I wonder how to begin to teach Holly about the reason we celebrate. How do we connect bunnies, eggs, and candy to the resurrection of Christ? How do we explain that the Jesus she's learning about - the Jesus who wants to be her friend forever - died for her temper tantrums, her disobedience, her defiance? She doesn't even comprehend death yet, much less sin.

So we're starting by explaining that Easter is the day Jesus rose from the grave. At the tender age of two, I don't know if her brain (or more accurately, her active imagination which leads to night terrors and nightmares) can handle much more. Most importantly I want her to begin to associate Easter with Jesus. The rest will come.

So I've been pondering that this Easter season. I've also been challenged to think about the cross and those final hours of Jesus. Our pastor, Andy Stanley, gave a powerful talk last Sunday that I encourage you to check out. Go to the Buckhead Church messages site and click on black image - it's called "The Final Hours." You can listen to the audio or watch the video.

I've also been blessed by the fresh perspectives of some great writers on the new life and new hope we have, and the reminder to reflect on the Passover Lamb and his love for us. Thank you for helping me keep my eyes on Jesus as I hide eggs and stuff Easter baskets.


3 comments:

Candace said...

Happy Resurrection Day, friend! I wish we could go hunt eggs together. Sigh...

Papa said...

I think back on all the Memphis Easters with bunnies and candies and dyeing eggs and Easter egg hunts. I can still hear the happy squeals when yet another egg gave up its lonely hiding place to the delight (and to delight) a young girl. I recall being just as delighted as a boy of 5. I think each of us "get" the real Easter in our own time and at a pace equal to our own willingness and ability to really hear the Good News and believe. Surrounding a child with parents, family, friends and church experiences that constantly reinforce this belief is perhaps the best parents can do. Holly and Anna will have lots of Easter fun, then one day they'll ask someone what eggs, candy and hunts have to do with Easter. I hope they don't ask me cuz' I don't know the answer and I'll be out anyway trying to find the eggs before they do...

Dori said...

Holly is making a Lauren face here...