Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My sick kid

















It seems like every family has the "sick kid." In our home growing up, I was the strong child with the impenetrable immune system (sorry Leigh, but it's true. You were cute but puny).

In our current household, I think little Anna got the short end of the stick. In 2 1/2 years Holly has never had an ear infection, never been on antibiotics. At 5 months, Anna has just gone through her first round of Amoxicillin for an ear infection. Not only that, after 9 days of the medicine, today she broke out in hives. Great - she's allergic to penicillin. And to top it all off, I just learned today that she also has thrush. What? I'm getting a crash course in baby sicknesses all in one day.

So, right now Matt and Holly are at the drugstore filling her new Rx (this is new to us too). And I've been trying to get my overtired, rash-covered, itchy and irritable baby to sleep for the last hour.

But there is a silver lining... I got to hear these sweet words come from the doctor's mouth: "Give her some Benadryl to help with the itching."

Ahh, sleep is coming.

3 comments:

Candace said...

Awww. Poor sweet one.

It must be an Anna thing. My Anna Grace has had too many illness/ailments to count in her four little years.

Hope you get some sweet sleep tonight!

Dori said...

the thrush is from the antibiotic- lucky for Anna that Nystatin tastes really good :)

Poor baby! Poor mommy!

Mike said...

Ok, so don't name future kids "Anna". Got it!

And hooray for Benedryl! Nothing says "peace & quiet" like a good ol' Benedryl desert shot... Kid tested, parent approved!