Tuesday, February 12, 2008

It Takes a Village

Matt and I have pretty much adopted The South Beach Diet as our eating lifestyle. Well, I've adopted it, which means that by default, so has Matt. She who does the cooking determines the diet. Once you get past the first phase (the all important kick the craving phase), it's just a healthy way to live. Whole grains, lean proteins, lots of veggies, and low sugar foods. It was all going well until last weeked. Twenty hours in the car in 4 days doesn't help - it's hard to be healthy at Arby's, Chick-fil-A, and Subway (I know you CAN be healthy there, it's just hard when the roast beef sandwich and homestyle fries are staring you in the face). And it REALLY doesn't help when your husband and brother-in-law order 2 large pizzas for dinner.

So when I return to Atlanta and normal life, do I also return to my healthy eating habits? Not exactly... lunch today was country fried steak and macaroni and cheese (I also had broccoli, but does that even count next to the other two?).

All this to say... starting tomorrow, I'm back on the wagon. And I'm asking anyone who sees me start to step off to gently help me back on. Or not so gently, if I'm being persistently tempted by the Valentine's Day chocolates I trust Matt is going to get me (hint hint... and I guess I'll know Friday if Matt reads my blog).

It takes a village to keep this sweet tooth on track. You have permission to hold me accountable.


(For some great South Beach recipes, check out Kalyn's Kitchen)







No comments: