Thursday, March 27, 2008

More love for Mama

Mealtime with Holly is often a battle of wills. Dinner last night was no exception. She was throwing food on the floor, squashing peas between her fingers, grabbing for a spoon just to bang it on the tray. And to add to the misery, she recently decided that any food entering her mouth must happen on her own. No more bites from Mom. Which means we're lucky if she puts 4 bites in her mouth over the course of a meal.


So after trying tricks, songs, and all kinds of distractions to get her to eat SOMETHING, I lost my patience. One too many peas had hit the floor and rice was everywhere. I raised my voice, slammed the tray on the table, and forcefully picked her up out of the chair and set her feet on the floor. No holding her in my lap and playing after dinner this time. She looked at me with fear in her eyes as her little lower lip popped out. Broke my heart.


A few minutes later I was rummaging through the freezer looking for something when Holly came up behind me, grabbed my leg, and said "Mama." I sat on the floor and scooped her into my arms and told her I was so sorry for losing my patience. Then this sweet girl put her arms around me, laid her head on my shoulder, and patted my back. For the next couple of minutes I told her how much I loved her, and she continued to shower me with hugs, kisses, and pats on the back.


As I said in my previous post, Holly is not typically very affectionate. But somehow she knew her Mom needed a little grace and an extra dose of love. I am constantly amazed at how much I learn about my God's love for me through my love for Holly. But this time, God used little Holly to remind me that He loves me the most when I deserve it the least.

3 comments:

Dori said...

That almost made me cry!!!

Candace said...

It did make me cry.
We've all been there and it's so true- you learn so much about God's love (and His patience) by being a parent.
It's amazing.
You are one heck of a mama, Lauren.
Love you!
Candace

Mike said...

So are you saying this is the secret to get my kid to start loving on me?

**makes note to get angry more often**

Seriously though that is a great tale. It's amazing how God does teach us about ourselves and relationship to him through our own kids.

So much to learn... :)