Friday, November 12, 2010

'Tis the Season?

Ever since I read Candace's enthusiastic blog post about pumpkin flavored goodies, I've been wanted to try something. An experiment, if you will. I'm not a big pumpkin fan (when I eat anything pumpkin flavored, I can't help but picture pumpkin guts), but I have been on a cake ball frenzy since I discovered these.

So an idea was born.

What if...I combined Candace's mom's recipe with Bakerella's recipe? Spice cake, cream cheese, pumpkin, chocolate. It's going to be amazing.

I decided to make them this morning (because although I'm supposed to be packing and handling logistics for a weekend getaway that begins in 2 hours, I must have nothing better to do).

Start with the basics:


I added a couple eggs, a little oil, and a little water to the cake mixture, because I just didn't trust that pumpkin and cake mix alone would work. Wasn't necessary. If you decide to make these, follow directions. Isn't that the number 1 rule in baking?

Throw her in the oven:


Find yourself a good helper who doesn't mind getting her hands dirty:

After rolling the mix into balls and chilling (per Bakerella's instructions), dip them in chocolate. And the end result:

Actually, the TRUE end result:


My opinion, not bad. But not amazing. I still felt like I was eating the inside of a gourd, to be honest. But I think most people, especially pumpkin people, would enjoy it.

If you live in my area, I'll save you one and you can decide for yourself!

2 comments:

4get2remember said...

They look gorgeous, but I totally understand about the gourd thing. I want to try a chicken-stock-based pumpkin soup because I've had something similar once (it wasn't a pumpkin...some other squash-like thing), but the sweet pumpkin stuff freaks me out a little.

Mike said...

That's pretty interesting and timely. I myself love me some pumpkin but I'm pretty lazy when it comes to actually making stuff. So I've just been making little pumpkin muffins and mini-loaves these past couple of weeks.

Congrats on the adventurous attempt here though! And glad you're back blogging again!